Reporting to the Terminal Manager and the Senior Director of Operations, the primary responsibility of the Dispatcher is to communicate with and coordinate company drivers, ensuring driver utility standards are met. This position is a reliable point of contact that can successfully balance the drivers’ health and safety with customer requirements
- Ensure the drivers have the ability and proper instructions to perform their duties safely.
- Coordinate and manage the most efficient loads to remain cost-effective as a company.
- Assist drivers in obtaining the necessary documents required for their assignment(s).
- Take the appropriate actions to limit delivery or route disruptions; notify customers or other concerned parties about delays.
- Serve as a liaison between different departments and people, including maintenance to identify vehicles that are available and when out-of-service ones will be returned to the fleet.
- Communicate with drivers to ensure the trip is going as planned.
- Field messages from customers wanting to confirm arrival time of their items or calling with complaints.
- Ensure trailer interior washes are completed where required.
- Ensure all orders and trip events are recorded in the appropriate system(s) in an accurate and timely fashion.
- Where applicable audit system reports for compliance requirements.
- Ensure the Company meets all customer requirements, and any changes are communicated immediately.
- Service failure reports are recorded in the appropriate system(s) and brought to the attention of appropriate individual or department.
- Ensure that the driver has adequate time to perform his duties safely and within the Hours of Work regulations.
- Ensure all drivers meet regulatory and corporate compliance.
- Assign the proper equipment for the jurisdiction and the job requirements.
- Regular on-site attendance is a requirement of the position.
- This position will tentatively be a 4:00am or 5:00am start time.
- Three years of related experience and/or training
- Good intuition
- Knowledge of the transportation industry; experience in bulk and/or hazardous commodities is desirable
- Proficient with technology and ability to learn company-specific programs
- Advanced communication and organizational skills
- Self-motivated and able to work under stress and with minimal supervision
- Possesses and demonstrates the ability to perform assigned tasks in a manner that adheres to the companies Safety, Health, Environmental and Security policies
- HS Diploma or equivalent required, Associate’s/Bachelor’s preferred
- $50,000 to $60,000 depending on experience
- Medical, Dental, Vision and 401K Offered
- Paid time off benefits including holidays and vacation